Life is a bowl full of cherries.... sometimes sour, sometimes sweet!

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Banking Lesson 3 Bank Statements

                           Banking Lesson 3  Bank Statements                      Nov 16 2020


Try, try, try again.  Something that we must always tell our students, and also ourselves. 

After my second lesson, in which I went on far too long with my powerpoint presentation, I knew that I had to make adjustments, and I have.  Today’s lesson went much better.  I had more activities where the students were active participants, and with the second monitor and screen it was much better again for seeing the students on Zoom and keeping track of who was answering questions.  All students seemed much more engaged in the lesson.  

I used a video to introduce the material on bank statements and I think it was a good level and useful.  I forgot to mention to the students that it was produced in Australia so the person speaking had a different accent and different pronunciation of some words. Something I have to remember to do, so they are not confused.  Viewing the video twice was good, along with asking them specific questions of what to look for in the video.  

I also made sure that I wrote every new vocabulary word or question in the chat box.  I will look at also using the whiteboard, as this seems like it might be better for somethings.  I introduced new vocabulary in a powerpoint again but kept it to about 7 slides which was much better.  Even then there were words that were difficult for some because, as my instructor explained, many of them will not have a banking experience that they can relate the words to.  Many do not do the banking or payments in their family, so this is completely new to them.  I think pictures and video are so very important in this situation. And slow, repetitive activities which gives them lots of opportunity to review and use the vocabulary.

Some of the students are struggling a big with the vocabulary and questions, while others find them easy.  This is to be expected, but I don’t want some students to be frustrated, so I must tell them this in the next lesson.  

The instructor suggested that some of the students are making a good connection because they are asking questions and discussing on their own.  So now I feel like I am making some headway in my own learning of how to actually teach a lesson. I have learned that writing a good lesson plan is one thing, but actually teaching it to a class it a whole other leap.  


Banking Lesson 3: Bank Statements

Date and Time: November 16, 2020

Class and Level: CLB 3/4/5

Resources: Powerpoint presentation, Examples of bank statements (Appendix A, B and C)

Technology: computer, zoom.com, video on bank statements (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZTrxRkvdY) ASICS Money Smarty Top Tips on Checking Your Bank Statement.

Unit: Banking 

Lesson: Bank statements

Learning Outcome:

Students know the different aspects of a bank statement and the importance of checking it.

Learning Objectives:

1)    Students can use more vocabulary related to bank statements.

2)    Students can dissect information from their bank statement.

3)    Students understand why it’s important to look at their bank statements and know their account balance.

Lesson Stage / Activity

Skill

Special Instructions

Timing

Teacher Reflections

Warm-up / Review: 

Go over homework and vocabulary review and any questions.  

Writing

Review homework corrections: Bank 1 and credit union.

Warm up: 

What is one thing that you have learned about banking so far? 

Write in the chat box. 

5-10 min

 

 

5-10

 

 

 

 

Forgot to do this

 

Introduction

Speaking

Large group Discussion: How do we keep track of our banking?

1.     How do you know how much money you have in the bank?

2.     Do you know how much you pay in service fees each month? 

5-10 min

I think using just the first question is enough

Presentation: Bank Statements 

Video, additional banking vocabulary on bank statements and discussion of parts of a bank statement

 

Listening

Bank Statements (chat box):features and checking them. 

Watch video on bank statements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZTrxRkvdY

What are some things we should look for on our bank statement? (chat box)

Show video again. Watch for things we mentioned.

Powerpoint part 2: (bank statement vocabulary)

-withdrawal, deposits and other transactions

(write vocabulary in chat box)

bank statements, bill payment, overdraft protection, special savings accounts (RESP, RRSP, TFSA).

Show and discuss the different parts of a bank statement (Appendix A) and what they mean. 

Review vocabulary shown in the powerpoint, and find on bank statement.

20 min

Must explain that the narrator has an Australian accent and some words sound different. 

It was good to give specific things to look for and to view the video 2X. 

 

The ppt was a better length with about 7 slides of new vocab.

Focused Practice:  understanding the vocabulary and parts of a bank statement

Listening and speaking

Large group: answer questions about the example bank statement (Write in chat box)(Appendix A)

20 min

Should have gone over this more slowly because some students missed things.

Semi-focused Practice: true or false statements about bank statements

Reading and speaking

Small group (3 groups) discussion followed by large group answers:

True or False questions (Appendix B) (Email to everyone)

10-15 min

This was more difficult for some students.

Free Practice / Application: applying knowledge of bank statements

Reading and writing

Bank statement with questions for homework (Appendix C):

Send students email with statement and questions, and have them reply by 3 PM today. 

30 min asynchronous

 

Filler Activity

Listening and speaking

What am I Game (Appendix D)

 

Didn’t have time.  Will use for review.

Closure

 

Homework reminder.

 

 

 


 

Appendix A:  Banking Statement


(from Bank Statements, Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_statement)

Questions: 

1.     Are the total withdrawals higher or lower than the total deposits? 

 

2.     Which date had the greatest withdrawal?

 

3.     Are there more personal cheques or ATM withdrawals? 

 

4.     What is the greatest amount for a transaction? 

 

5.     Where did John spend the most money? 

 

6.     How does John get paid? 

 

7.     What were the total bank fees that John paid for this month

Appendix B: 

 

True or false questions on bank statements.

 

True or False: 

 

1.     The branch number is the same as your account number. 

2.     You receive bank statements every week. 

3.     The opening balance is the amount of money in your account at the beginning of the month.

4.     You can use direct deposit for payroll and government cheques.

5.     Withdrawals are only the amounts of money that you take out at an ATM.

6.     Personal cheques are deposits.

7.     Banks can charge monthly account fees and ATM withdrawal fees.

8.     Using your debit card to pay for something will be a deposit.

9.     The closing balance is shown for the end of the month. 

10.  Bank statements will have all your accounts listed.

11.  You should always check your bank statement for errors. 

 

 


12.   

Appendix C: Bank Statement Homework

 



(From  Bow Valley College 2016, Financial ESL Literacy Toolkit, https://globalaccess.bowvalleycollege.ca/sites/default/files/financial_ESL_literacy_toolkit_0.pdf)

Questions:

1)    How many withdrawals did Adama have this month? 

2)    What was the total amount of withdrawals?

3)    What are the total charges for service fees?

4)    What were the total deposits?

5)    How many ATM transactions did she have? 

6)    How did she get paid for work?

7)    How did she pay for her rent?

Appendix D: Filler Game

 

What am I?   Game  (give the vocabulary word that matches the clues)

 

1.     I am money coming in and money going out of your account.  I can be a debit or a credit. 

 

2.     You can pay for things with me. You must put a date, an amount, and a signature on me. You can write me on a special piece of paper.  

 

3.     I am a machine.  I can give you cash.  You can find many of me all over the city.

 

4.     I have no buildings.  You can only contact me with your computer or phone. 

 

5.     I am a credit union or a bank. I help you with your finances. 

 

6.     I tell you how much money you have in your account every month.  I will give you an opening and closing balance. 

 

7.     I am when you write a cheque and don’t have enough money in the bank. The bank will charge you a big fee for me. 

 

8.     You can use me to build your credit score.  You keep me in your wallet. 

 

9.     I am an account that has low interest and high fees.  You use me for paying your bills. 

 

10.  You put your documents and valuables in me.  You get a special key for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Webinars: Useful for Continued Professional Development

    Webinars are seminars offered on the web.  They are usually on a specific topic and are easily accessible to a large group of people. TE...