Life is a bowl full of cherries.... sometimes sour, sometimes sweet!

Friday, September 14, 2018

In the beginning..... adjusting to technology in ESL (Unit 1)

Technology is a wonderful thing if you know how to use it.  On the flip side technology can be very frustrating. Have you ever tried to hook up a new TV these day?  But technology and digital literacy are very important aspects of our world today, and therefore very necessary in teaching ESL.

I once taught an online course at the university many years ago.  Most of the online part was really about dissemination of course notes and other information.  The platform was much simpler and all communication with students was done through email or phone calls.  I had never taken or given an online course before, so it was a big learning curve for me, as well as the students, who were mostly first year.  But I managed.

Skip ahead several years (actually more like a decade), and I find myself again in the head spinning world of creating blogs, and setting up accounts in new social media sites and other resourceful sites.  Getting used to D2L again took a few days.  It's not like I haven't done this before, as I've taken several courses online.  But it always seems to be a learning curve for me.  Part of this may be my age.  The brain works a little slower as you age, and part may be some resistance.  So just beware of this when you are using this with older ESL groups or those who not used to using digital and social media.

The major learning point here is that don't assume students know how to use digital technology.  Even the simplest technology (which this course is not) is very difficult for some.  Although I have found that many ESL students are very proficient (sometimes too much in class) with their cell phones, they may only know the platforms and apps that they use regularly, which vary greatly from country to country.

I once organized an ESL drop in class for a group of Chinese students and newcomers.  They used a social media app for connecting with each other and advertising the group.  It was in Chinese so I felt a bit left out of it, but one of the students kept in close touch with me and acted as the moderator.  So social media can be very useful, but you have to be careful of what you use.  We probably would have had a much smaller group if we used an English app, but with the Chinese app, I had no control.

Teaching digital media literacy to ESL students is necessary part of their education.  They will all have to use it at some point.  It's very hard to avoid.  But remember to be gentle, be slow, make it fun,  and make it useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Webinars: Useful for Continued Professional Development

    Webinars are seminars offered on the web.  They are usually on a specific topic and are easily accessible to a large group of people. TE...